Ae dil hai mushkil: Desi movie in London

Cliché = Karan Johar

I know it should go the other way around but you will understand when you watch the movie. Twisted and complicated love triangle, immature decisions, pretty actors, scarce cladding, desi songs, shot in London. Should I go on? Because this pretty much summarizes all his movies. Karan is looking for a signature in all his movies which I'd say he got long back when he directed Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. You would think that he will bask in that glory and let it go, but no. Clichéd dialogues, title song, hit songs from his previous movies played in the background, logic that is so ridiculous that it is beyond explanation are his combination to success (if he calls it so). In this movie, there are slight changes to the formula. His sentiment is moved on from Rani Mukherji and Kajol in guest appearance to Alia butt.. Change of season goes for thorns too, not just for flowers. But he couldn't deviate from the tradition of killing the heroine with cancer. And just when I thought the movie was over, Alizeh (Anushka Sharma) and Ayan (Ranbir Kapoor) started to live life again. By then, two hours of the same crap was already over.

I went to the theater with lot of expectations and excitement not because it was a Karan Johar's movie but because Aishwarya Rai and Shahrukh Khan were starring in it. Had I gone with the bollywood enthusiasm that every Karan Johar's movie demands, may be I'd have been bored less.

Through the first half of the movie I thought, "Okay, so I am gonna give a bad review for this movie." After seeing Aishwarya Rai in such a role, I felt that this movie didn't deem a review at all. We have seen the world beauty fall in love with great actors on big screen, we have seen her sexy, hot, lusty, lovable and emotional. But to combine all of this in one movie just because Karan got her to sign the call sheet was a little too much to take. To see her starring opposite a kid like Ranbir Kapoor and lusting after his handsome demeanor was disgusting. I couldn't accept the scenes where she was kissing him, I couldn't bear the scenes where she cried for falling in love with a guy like Ranbir Kapoor instead of Shahrukh Khan and I couldn't avert my eyes when her beauty filled the screen.

I don't wish to go in detail to dissect the characters and study under the microscope as they weren't so great. But on the whole, I enjoyed Anushka Sharma's charming beauty, Shahrukh's poem, Ranbir crying like a child in every scene and of course, Aishwarya Rai's everything (except acting).

Comments