Midnight in Paris: Painting

Rating: 4.5/5

Imagine a blank palette. No wait! Imagine a beautiful painting, of anything for that matter. Now forget that. Imagine a blank palette. Visualize the artist mixing a range of colours on this palette. Now he paints the blank canvas with strokes of colours that turns into a very beautiful picture beyond words. You look at this picture and you realize this is larger than life. That this painting could have been just mediocre but it wasn't. It could be just another painting in the gallery, but it isn't. It would be outcast by many more to come, only it won't. That is how one would feel watching the movie 'Midnight in Paris'. The director's cut is shown in the two minutes of the movie. It speaks volumes of his expertise that he took advantage of, to express his love for the city. I wouldn't call myself a Woody Allen fan, but I was bowled over by this movie. If I knew any better and I had watched many more of his movies, I'd call this his masterpiece.

I want to say the first two minutes are the best part of the movie, at least that is what I felt when I started watching the movie. I was too apprehensive about watching a Woody Allen movie that I didn't really care for the rest of the movie at the beginning. First two mins into the movie and I was too overwhelmed by the beauty of Paris thrown at my face. As the movie progressed, it unveiled the charm of the city in the backdrop.

The city seems to allure the lead character and engulf him in its past. The golden age, as idealized by everyone, is usually a surreal period where nostalgia meets our knowledge of great people in the noteworthy past. The director's touch was felt when nostalgia merged with the modern charm not in a flashback but through inexplicable magic. The director lets us travel to the past and peek into the famous 20's lives of Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Picasso and other notable artists of the time. As the calendar dates further into the past, the director makes us feel that the 'golden age' for a person will always be anything in the past unless he embraces the present with enthusiasm. The actors did quite a job by acting out the parts lightly with no overdo. The music score, the cinematography and the screenplay added feathers to his cap.

By the end of the movie, Woody Allen made me wish that I had watched it before I visited the city of love, myself.

Comments